We encourage you to nominate someone (or yourself) who is committed to driving positive social impact in our community.
Please see the Board Member Expectations below, including a link to the Nomination Form due by January 15.
Statement of Board Member Expectations
General Expectations of the Board:
- Establish and be accountable for the mission and vision of SEA-Chicago.
- Establish policies and procedures related to the governance of the organization.
- Support the mission, purposes, policies, and programs in accordance with all applicable laws, rules, and regulations of federal, state, and local authorities that have jurisdiction over SEA-Chicago.
- Approve and monitor an annual plan of work to achieve goals of the current strategic plan and a budget that provides the resources necessary to achieve the plan and supports the fiscal health of the organization.
- Read and understand the organization’s financial statements and contribute to the Board’s exercise of its fiduciary responsibility.
- Maintain confidentiality of Board matters and publicly support Board decisions.
- Nominate Board members who will assure continuity of the highest quality of board service.
- Elect officers who will assure the highest quality of board leadership.
- Assess performance as a board on a regular basis.
Expectations of Individual Board Members:
- Serve for a 3-year term.
- Serve SEA-Chicago as a whole rather than any constituency or special group.
- Adhere to the organization’s conflict of interest policy.
- Maintain an active, paid SEA membership.
- Promote the work of SEA and SEA-Chicago.
- Annually give or get the amount set by the Board annually.
- Serve on at least one Board committee and attend at last 75% of all such committee meetings.
- Prepare for and make all reasonable efforts to attend a minimum of 9 out of 12 monthly Board meetings, of which at least 4 must be in person.
- Ask timely and substantive questions at Board and committee meetings.
- Participate in Board self-assessments and all other surveys and requests for information.
- Serve as an ambassador for SEA-Chicago. “Friend” raise and fundraise for SEA-Chicago.
- Provide periodic updates on participation in related activities to keep SEA-Chicago well informed regarding important developments in the social impact sector.
- Attend SEA-Chicago’s Annual Meeting and other SEA-Chicago events and activities.
- Assist with board member recruitment and retention.
- Assist with general member recruitment and retention.
To nominate an SEA-Chicago Board Member, please email your completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 15, 2018.
For more information on SEA-Chicago, visit www.socialenterprisechicago.org/.
The Diversity and Inclusion Statement
SEA-Chicago, believing that the wide array of perspectives resulting from diversity and inclusion allows all organizations to be more effective, is committed to promoting diversity and inclusion in the social impact sector. We are also dedicated to greater diversity and inclusion within our own organization and provide equal opportunity to people of all races, ethnicities, religions, genders, sexual orientations, gender identifications, abilities, incomes, marital status, ages, geographic locations, philosophies, and veteran status in all levels of staff and governance.